Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Like A Villain

Yesterday was my first day of Chill (support the Chill-ness!!), and it was a thrill. I'm exhausted, and I worked hard, but I have that whole feel-good thing going on today. I left my office a few minutes later than originally planned (report deadlines don't care if you're doing good, unfortunately), but I still made it up to the mountain a little after five, despite a quick stop for gas and an aborted attempt to change that resulted in me driving the rest of the way wearing Hot Chillys and kitten heels (is there anything hotter than that?). Tried to finish changing in the parking lot, but of course someone parked right next to me, so then I was walking around in my work shirt (luckily, a rather benign turtleneck) and snow pants. Getting hotter! Turns out I was not supposed to go to the base lodge, oops, but they had a bathroom where I could lose the turtleneck and put on proper snowboard attire. Thank gawd.

Turned back around and after switching out one snowboard boot for a shoe I could drive with, headed to the "stone house," easily identified by the big ass bus out front, and amazingly, wasn't all that late. Even better, the other volunteers were awfully nice, and not all 21-year-old brats, hurrah! Of course, one was named Ben and the Bennifer jokes flew fast and furious. I can never date a Ben. Damn you Ben Affleck. Damn you.

My first task was to get the kids each a board. Now, this is a cool moment. It's what they've been waiting for... they get a board to call their own for the next six weeks! But, this task makes for a quick get to know you, as the first thing you have to do is turn the kids around, make them stand up straight and look at the bus, and then give them a good shove. This is to see which leg they catch themselves with to determine if they're regular or goofy, and is kind of like snowboard hazing.

Then, I had to find a board of the right height and with bindings big enough for their feet and headed in the right direction. Turns out pre-teen boys have GIGANTIC feet even if they're not very tall. Who knew? Anyway, there were other folks around with screwdrivers and wrenches to put new bindings on for those kids. Then, had to show them how to use the bindings and how not to drag it across the concrete (it's like nails on a chalkboard, EEK!).

Once everybody had a board and successfully loaded it on the bus, it was back up to the mountain to meet our instructors and learn how to turn. And I've got to tell you, these kids did WAY better than I did during my first lesson. I was scared out of my damn mind. They, on the other hand, were fearless. Well done kids!! I can't wait to go back next week, I bet they'll be ready to rock the lifts, so exciting!

One other thing to add, my favorite part of snowboarding, what I love oh-so-very-much, it's the new challenge every time. Pushing myself to do something I've never done before, and actually pulling it off, is the biggest thrill. If I can get one of these kids to feel that, it'll be worth all the driving and eating dinner at 10 and going into work early/staying late to make up the time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't tell me you got to SHOVE the kids!!!!!!

1:27 PM  
Blogger lunchbox said...

Well, you have to be nice to them AFTER you've shoved them.

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home