Saturday, January 06, 2007

Happy New Year! Sorta...

It's 75 degrees outside and January, and as much as I'd love to be snowboarding today, the weather is in its own way sorta cool. Of course, I spent the morning inside balancing my checkbook. Freakin' resolutions. I just have to keep reminding myself the morning's been sacrificed for the good goal of saving myself finance charges and late payment fees. Totally worth it, right? RIGHT?

Down to business, we're nearly a week into the year and I haven't recapped '06 yet. Unfortunately, I didn't quite pay enough attention to music this year to do a "best of" list, but these are my 10 favorite highlights. It's a pop-heavy year, a little fun in times of serious trouble. Enjoy. Go forth and buy CDs!

1. Rudebox. Robbie Williams kicks this album off with the line, "OK then, back to basics..." and never has it been done better. A synth-pop masterpiece that hasn't left my CD player since it came out of the jewel box. Seriously, it's the best thing I've heard in AGES. Robbie's biting humor is back (see She's Madonna if you don't believe me), and he clearly had fun with this album, it's a beautiful thing. If my iPod were alive (may it rest in piece...), I would've seriously looked like a spastic iPod commercial whenever Rudebox came on. Or Lovelight. The whole thing's awesome.

2. Continuum. I've already posted about Stop This Train, so I won't drive you nuts with a rehash, but the rest of the album's awfully damn good too. In the new year, I'm doing my best to stop the whole Jessica Simpson thing from diminishing my opinion of his music. It's just ass, right?

3. Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. I've beaten this one to death too, but it's still frickin' awesome.

4. FutureSex/LoveSounds. I'm going to get a lot of shit for this, but I'm sorry, JT rules. If SexyBack doesn't make you dance, I'm not sure you have a soul.

5. Pearl Jam. Their best in quite some time.

6. Ring the Alarm. Haven't heard the whole Beyonce album yet, but this song is the shit. Angry Beyonce RULES.

7. Ain't No Other Man. I really thought I hated Christina Aguilera, turns out, not so much...

8. The World. Brad Paisley stops all that drinking that made him famous in '05 and makes the sweetest song (and video!) of the year. I know, I know, I'm a dork, but it makes me smile.

9. Hips Don't Lie. I heard this song at a bar in Guatemala City and the whole place went nuts, best moment of international bonding I had this year. Hell, she makes a woman want to speak Spanish!

10. Original Fire. As many times as I've heard it on Darren's MySpace page, I still love it.

One more side note, hurrah You Tube! Made this so much easier than last year. MUST get off the couch now... later skaters! Comment away...

4 Comments:

Blogger Beakerz said...

Woulda so rather snowboarded, but got to rollerblade.

Nice list. Will try.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Els said...

Wow, I really don't have a soul. I don't like the JT song. Sorry.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weather, so wrong in January... I actually WANT it cold for ski season!!
And wow, lettermangirl doesn't have a soul. You didn't a JT song meter to figure that one out. Everyone at the Hopper already told you that! :P

8:13 PM  
Blogger Funkmeister said...

one would think a trip to the rock and roll hall of fame would heighten one's love of JT!

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home