Sunday, November 20, 2005

Shriek of the Week, Vol. 3

This week's shriek is in tribute to that fine island I call home, Long Island. And no, it's not Billy Joel. It's a female rap group hailing from Dix Hills, Strong Island who call themselves Northern State. I feel like the most cliched idiot in the world saying this, but they sound like female Beasties, but I'm not the only one, the Village Voice said so too. Unlike typical female rap along the lines of Lil Kim, Foxy Brown or Eve, Northern State deliver smart, politically aware and occasionally laugh out loud lyrics.

They're girls who rap and they're from Long Island and they're REALLY effin good, so go listen!! They have a brand new single available from iTunes called Away Away, or hit up their web site and sample tracks from All City and a few from their prior EP, Dying in Stereo (I recommend The Man's Dollar and Girl for All Seasons). I first heard "At the Party" from that album on MTV.com indie radio...

This girl at the bar said 'Northern who?'
I said it's Northern State haven't you heard of my crew?
Yo we rock the stage any way we want,
hell I'll rock this party like a debutante.

Consider them debuted! Check 'em out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strong Island sucks!

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home