Sunday, January 29, 2006

Shriek of the Week, Vol. 9

The best way to introduce this week's artist is via his lyrics. These are from the title track from his debut U.S. release Twentysomething and were a stiff competitor with "1983" for the official theme song of this blog...

"After years of expensive education,
a car full of books and anticipation,
I’m an expert on Shakespeare and that’s a hell of a lot
but the world don't need scholars as much as I thought.

"Maybe I'll go traveling for a year,
finding myself or start a career.
I could work for the poor though I’m hungry for fame
we all seem so different but we're just the same.

"Maybe I'll go to the gym, so I don't get fat,
aren't things more easy with a tight six pack?
Who knows the answers? Who do you trust?
I can't even separate love from lust.

"Maybe I’ll move back home and pay off my loans,
working nine to five answering phones.
Don't make me live for my friday nights,
drinking eight pints and getting in fights.

"I don't want to get up, just let me lie in,
leave me alone, I'm a twenty something.

"Maybe I'll just fall in love that could solve it all,
philosophers say that that’s enough,
there surely must be more. Ooooh

"Love ain’t the answer nor is work,
the truth eludes me so much it hurts.
But I’m still having fun and I guess that's the key,
I'm a twenty something and I'll keep being me."

These words fall from the genius mind of jazz-pop hottie (sorry, it had to be said, he's way cute and british and we all know that I love just about anything with a british accent) Jamie Cullum. Twentysomething is an eye-opening blend of modern catchy pop with classic jazz, including songs like the one above and updated versions of standards like "Singin' in the Rain" and "I Get A Kick Out of You." He even includes modern covers of diverse songs like Radiohead's "High and Dry," Jeff Buckley's "Lover You Should Have Come Over" (the Buckley cover is probably my favorite song on the entire album), Hendrix's "Wind Cries Mary" and Pharrell's "Frontin'," and amazingly, his piano and bass driven take on these songs sounds wonderful.

His original work covers emotional ground familiar to those of us who can relate to the lyrics above. "All at Sea" is a tribute to being alone with your thoughts, "These Are the Days" addresses the joy in life, and "Next Year, Baby" is about growing up and acting like an adult:

"Next year, things are gonna change
Gonna drink less beer, and start all over again
Gonna read more books, gonna keep up with the news
Gonna learn how to cook, spend less money on shoes
I’ll pay my bills on time,
and file my mail away, everyday
Only drink the finest wine,
and call my Gran every Sunday.

"Resolutions, baby they come and go
Will I do any of these things? The answer's probably no
If there’s one thing I must do, despite my greatest fears
I’m gonna say to you, I felt all of these years"

I'm still getting to know his follow up record, Catching Tales, but so far it's got a similar feel, with a bit more original work and a different, more daring approach to the standards he covers. I absolutely above all else recommend Twentysomething with all of my being. He recently did the second half of an Austin City Limits with Lyle Lovett that's a sight to be seen so check that out if you can; his live act shows that he clearly loves the music and hopes to challenge his audience and produce something new each time. He's touring the U.S. at the moment, check his site for tour dates (just don't buy tickets for the DC show just yet, let me get mine first!). There's also a song player on his site if you want a preview before you buy.

Enjoy the Cullum, and let me know what you're thinking about my Shrieks so far... questions, comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated by the blogger. Danke.

Update: My tickets have been purchased, buy away...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I honestly have no idea how to feel about this guy. For example, Get your way is nice. strong, jazzy, nice lyrics.

London Skies is just bad, not inspired at all.

Catch the Sun was all right, could have used a tighter bass line, but all right. So I suppose I'm intrigued, but not sold.

12:04 PM  
Blogger lunchbox said...

DMize, I'm impressed at the effort you've exerted! I'll have to bring Twentysomething to the Creek, you'll like it. Catch the Sun is a cover of a Doves song, actually, yet another cool brit band.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home