Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Playing Catch Up

Well, here goes, all the posts that have been swirling around my head for the last week and a half, or, at least as much of them as I'm willing to type.

2005 Year In Review: I can't do this nearly as well as Dave Barry, so I'll leave it to him, but a shout out to everybody who rocked this year: To the weather, for snowing me in at Mt. Snow to kick off '05. To Andy and Michelle for organizing a kick ass trip to Tremblant, and to Ben with the Birthday for teaching me the Kayak. To Darlene for reprising the role of Mama Stokes yet again. To Budapest for being full of wine. To Larry for being such an incompatible boss that I had to leave the state. To Nancy, John and Kate for saving me from Jersey. To Darren for not being too ticked that I left. To hockey for coming back. To Audioslave and Oasis for both kicking ass twice in one flippin' year. To blogspot for letting me ramble on to the entire world. To all my friends and my family, and maybe Jesus? Woo-hoo! 2005!

This Week In Review: Too... much... to... say. Losing... grip. I give up. But I think I bored my DVR into insubordination. It stopped recording the News Hour even though it's totally set up right! WTF!?!

The Moment You've Been Waiting For: My top ten favorite songs of 2005. Now, I really could do 20, because I had a very hard time whittling this list down, but I'm sticking to ten. In alphabetical order by song title. I wish I had some way to stream these, but I'm not that smart, so you'll have to link and figure out where the audio/video part of the artist's site is. Sorry kids.

1. Ain't No Easy Way, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Album: Howl. If there was any way to play this song louder than the stereo in my car/my iPod headphones already do, I would. It's phenomenal.

2. Catch My Disease, Ben Lee. Album: Awake Is The New Sleep. Best use of a toy xylophone ever.

3. Doesn't Remind Me, Audioslave. Album: Out Of Exile. This song doesn't remind me of anything. Except awesomeness.

4. L'Via L'Viaquez, The Mars Volta. Album: Frances The Mute. This one is actually 12 minutes long, but somewhere in the middle (about 40 seconds in) is an amazing five minutes or so that I could listen to 100 times and never get bored. Possibly because I don't understand any of the lyrics.

5. Looking At The World From The Bottom Of A Well, Mike Doughty. Album: Haughty Melodic. It was very hard not to pick Busting Up A Starbucks just for its title, but this really is the standout song on this one. Totally rocks.

6. My Doorbell, The White Stripes. Album: Get Behind Me Satan. Is anyone else starting to be strangely attracted to Jack White? Anyone? Bueller?

7. Perfect Situation, Weezer. Album: Make Believe. "All I have to do is swing and I'm a hero, but I'm a zero." Tell me about it... sheesh.

8. Pressure Point, The Zutons. Album: Who Killed the Zutons? Way better than the jeans commercial it wound up in.

9. Road To Joy, Bright Eyes. Album: I'm Wide Awake It's Morning. OK, it's gimmicky, but I LOVE it.

10. The Beast and Dragon Adored, Spoon. Album: Gimme Fiction. Hooray piano sounding dark!

A few honorable mentions because like I said, this was hard!
Back To Me, Kathleen Edwards. Album: Back To Me.
Breakdown, Jack Johnson/Handsome Boy Modeling School. Album: White People.
Country Boy, Tyra. Album: The Entertainer.
Do You Want To, Franz Ferdinand. Album: You Could Have It So Much Better.
E-Pro, Beck. Album: Guero.
Everything Is Alright, Motion City Soundtrack. Album: Commit This To Memory.
Feel Good Inc., Gorillaz. Album: Demon Days.
Galang, M.I.A. Album: Arular.
Hate It or Love It, The Game. Album: The Documentary. I can't find his flippin' web site. You try googling Game.
Love Like A Bomb, Oasis. Album: Don't Believe The Truth.
Touch The Sky, Kanye West. Album: Late Registration.

See, now you have an awesome mix tape sitting here and all the hard work is done. Support the good stuff, go buy these! Talk amongst yourselves.

3 Comments:

Blogger Els said...

Seriously, I have never heard of any of those songs. You are way better about getting into music that I. And also, for shame about not mentioning the panda in the Best of '05!! Tisk, tisk.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Funkmeister said...

yes - how could you miss the panda??? but i do feel good that a know a majority of your songs.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen, you have never heard of audioslave and doesn't remind me? When I give this David Sederis cd back, you're taking out of exile and listening to it.

Off to find another roommate... I might come visit soon!

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home