Monday, May 22, 2006

There are other things I should be writing

Like the report I owe my boss, or thank you cards for my birthday party/gifts (to those who read this, consider yourself thanked!), but I've decided to share my thoughts this evening with denizens of the Lunchbox instead. And my thoughts are focused at the moment on radio.

Right before I moved to DC, New York lost its last current rock station, K-Rock. A casualty of Howard's Jump to Satellite, it went talk after losing, um, it's only talk show host? Bass ackwards if you ask me. Can you imagine the meeting to decide that one?

Suit A: "We're losing all our talk, what do we do now?"
Suit B: "Play decent music?"
Suit A: "TERRIBLE! Next!"
Suit B: "Assemble the lamest collection of talkers ever?"
Suit A, suddenly morphing into cutout Guinness guy: "BRILLIANT! Call David Lee Roth..."

But I digress... At that point, it wasn't even really playing active rock, it was just a sorry mix of mediocre rock. I know that among my generation, there is practical beatification of Def Leppard, but really, I can only hear "Pour Some Sugar On Me" so many times without wanting to throw myself out a window. So I spent a few weeks without a decent station to accompany me on my commute home. And they were long. Dark. Hopeless days. Thank goodness for the iPod, G-Rock and WFUV, at very least, I heard some decent Triple A.

Then I moved to DC, and although WHFS has up and moved to Baltimore (really, was the real estate market that bad?), there was still DC101. A bastion of 90s glory with a decent amount of new stuff, and for some reason Elliot kind of amuses me. Wholly embarrassing admission, but there it is.

Now, almost a year in, I'm sorely disappointed. I really only listen to the actual radio when I'm in my car, and admittedly, that's not very often. Couple of times a week, tops. So you would think the last problem I'd have would be boredom with what's on the radio. When you only hear maybe ten songs a week on the damn thing, how bad can it be? Real bad. Literally EVERY time I have turned on DC101 in the last maybe two months, I have heard that damn Nine Inch Nails song. You know it, "There is no you, there is only me. There is no fucking you, there is only me..." etc., etc. Apparently! It's the only thing on the radio so Trent Reznor must actually be omnipresent. Usually it's followed by Live, "All Over You," or something Nickelback. This is a very sad state of affairs and has caused the Shriek of the Week on this very blog to go dormant.

So please, DC101, I am begging you with all that I am and all that I have, PLEASE play something new once in a while, because I CANNOT take it anymore. I am too young to be listening to things-I-already-know-the-words-to ALL the time (and to type as if I'm Dr. Cox), and there really aren't any other options for me in this fair city.

P.S. As I went back to get the link for DC101, that damn song was in their last 10 played. I kid you not.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:30 AM  
Blogger lunchbox said...

Sorry dude. There will be no promoting of shite music on my blog...

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:50 AM  
Blogger lunchbox said...

Quit it!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Funkmeister said...

now i want to know what those comments were!!!

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear family tradition is good... but in reality, check out our lady peace's new song. It's good.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just bought Def Leppard's "Yeah."

9.99 at Best Buy.

4:01 PM  
Blogger lunchbox said...

Biggest waste of $9.99 ever.

4:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home