Monday, February 20, 2006

Shriek of the Week, Vol. 10

Hurrah! I've made it to 10!! It took way too long, but this is a special, special day... And in honor of the anniversary of the birth of the father of our great nation, I shriek a band from Canada. Not just any band from Canada, lesbian pop-punk sisters from Vancouver, Tegan and Sara. They've released four albums, the first two I don't know very well, and from what I've read they have a very different character than the most recent two. The earlier two are folky, Ani-type stuff, whereas the last two sound sort of like Green Day might if Billie Joe were a woman scorned.

From If It Was You... comes "Monday Monday Monday," the happiest sounding sad song I've heard in ages, so angry but not yet convinced: "This week or last week, I don't really care about it anymore. I write myself this later, I tell myself you let me go. Without me, what's wrong with you?"

Another favorite from that album, "City Girl," again sounds so happy but listening to (or reading, in this case) the lyrics, one finds a girl confused, aware of her confusion and unable to change it. She is so exposed:

"I get so sad that sad gets to be,
so scared that all my feelings, they up and leave me,
I got so city girl on you,
I go so crazy I don't know what to do
I look so long I get obvious
I look so hard I look obvious
I work so much I miss the sunshine away
I sleep so little, watch the stars fade into day
I get uncertain, promise I'll be perfect from now on
but all my promises are out the window once you're gone."

A second stab at pop punk, sounding a bit more subdued or perhaps mature, So Jealous, hit shelves in 2004, and is hitting alt-rock radio now... I heard T&S on G-Rock coming back from Jersey last weekend and nearly spit out my coffee. "Speak Slow" is the single they're peddling and it seems to be working. They've opened for Cake (a show that is seriously painful to have missed) and are touring Australia at the moment, but they've got lots of audio on the Web site. Check 'em out and don't hate on Canada. Later kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home